No-nos...and They Were There!
Twenty-two no-hitters – the most in Major League Baseball – have been thrown by Dodger pitchers since 1890. Of those 22, a total of 15, or 68 percent, have come under the O’Malley family ownership of the Dodgers. While Walter O’Malley was Dodger owner, 10 no-hitters were accomplished by Dodger pitchers, starting with Ed Head on April 23, 1946 and Rex Barney on September 9, 1948.
O’Malley became part-owner of the Dodgers with Branch Rickey and prominent insurance executive Andrew Schmitz, as they purchased 25 percent of the shares of stock on November 1, 1944. On August 13, 1945, O’Malley, Dodger President Rickey and their new partner John L. Smith (later President of Pfizer & Company) purchased 50 percent more stock, increasing the triumvirate’s holdings to 75 percent of the shares. Dearie Mulvey, daughter of former Dodger President Stephen McKeever, and her husband James owned the other 25 percent of the shares of stock.
After he became club President in 1950, O’Malley oversaw seven no-hitters by the Dodgers, while his son Peter was President (beginning on March 17, 1970) for six of the no-hitters. The Bill Singer no-hitter on July 20, 1970 happened while Walter was Chairman of Board and Peter was President. Ten years would pass until the next Dodger no-hitter by Jerry Reuss on June 27, 1980. Again, 10 years would pass after the Reuss gem until Fernando Valenzuela earned a no-no against St. Louis on June 29, 1990.
As of 2007, the Dodgers had split the 20 exactly in half: 10 no-hitters in Brooklyn, including two by Carl Erskine (June 19, 1952 and May 12, 1956) and 10 in Los Angeles, including four by Sandy Koufax (June 30, 1962, May 11, 1963, June 4, 1964 and September 9, 1965, the last one a perfect game). After each of the Erskine no-hitters, Walter O’Malley presented him with a $500 check. Of the 20 no-hitters, 14 were thrown by Dodgers at home and six on the road. Dodger pitchers have thrown seven no-hitters at Dodger Stadium, which opened on April 10, 1962.
The Boston Red Sox and the Chicago White Sox are the next closest teams to the Dodgers in all-time no-hitters with 16 apiece. The Braves and the Cleveland Indians each have 14, while the Chicago Cubs and Giants each have recorded 12.
Source: Elias Sports Bureau, ESPN The Magazine, July 2, 2007